Diary of a Mad Dollmaker

Mimi's Weblog – Let's Talk About Dollmaking

Drawing Down the Moon (Designing a Doll)

Moon Dancer Side

Drawing Down the Moon

I have had many requests over the years for a pattern for The High Priestess. I made that doll about 15 or so years ago. I want to remake her with the new techniques I have learned since that time. I don’t think I can go backwards, even to use the pattern. I have every pattern I have ever designed — gotta clean out these files someday…  She is 16-inches high, made in ultra Suede fabric with a wefted mohair wig. She is draped with silk chiffon. It took many hours to roll that hem.

High Priestess Aux Camera

High Priestess 3D Model - Aux Camera

High Priestess Main Camera

High Priestess 3D Model - Main Camera

Jim used Poser 7 to make a 3D model of the High Priestess based on the Victoria 4 character by DAZ to set up the pose and get my profile drawings printed out so that I had actual size drawings from every side (including from the top, which is bizarre to try to work with but the measurements were nice to have).

Jim generated full-size drawings from the front, back, left, and right cameras. I used these as a guide for making the patterns.

High Priestess Drawing - Front

High Priestess Drawing - Front

High Priestess Drawing - Right Profile

High Priestess Drawing - Right Profile

High Priestess Drawing - Left Profile

High Priestess Drawing - Left Profile

High Priestess Drawing - Rear

High Priestess Drawing - Rear

From these drawings, I made a rough sculpt of the upper torso. The pose has her leaning back with a very arched back making the breasts fall in different directions because of the arm positions. From the sculpted bust, I made a muslin drape (sloper) and then refined the paper pattern by “truing-up.”

Bust Sculpt & Sloper

Bust Sculpt & Sloper

Bust First Pattern

Bust First Pattern (Trued Up)

Then I made the first test of the upper and lower torso stitched together. When I drape a sculpt, I have to remember to turn the muslin piece over when I trace it on the paper or the piece will be reversed. Very confusing. I noticed as soon as I had it all stitched together that the bust was inside out and the lower torso was outside in, but figured I would see if the back fit so I could at least stuff it to see how many corrections had to be made. Well, DUH!!! Of course the back wouldn’t fit because the lower torso has the opposite side on the left from the upper torso. Dyslexia can be very interesting…

Outside-in, Inside-out

Outside-In, Inside-Out

In another test, the front of the torso is cut in one piece just to test the curve. I will stuff it tonight to see what corrections have to be made. The torso is the most difficult to design for muslin. Legs and arms are easy. Once I have the final muslin torso stuffed I can drape that with a knit fabric so I can offer the pattern for both woven and knit fabric. A knit fabric needs far fewer pieces than woven fabric because a two or even a one-dimensional pattern will look three-dimensional if properly stuffed. But then, I am known for doing everything the hard way.

To be continued…

Share

Advertisements

Friday, April 9, 2010 - Posted by | Drawing Down the Moon | , ,

1 Comment »

  1. Nice blog…Thank you very much.

    Comment by knitting models | Tuesday, June 8, 2010 | Reply


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: